Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. is a diverse and decentralized pharmaceutical company that is committed to focusing on our key stakeholders while delivering consistently high performance. Our values provide the overall direction for our company, and provide us with the tools necessary to rise to any challenge by leveraging our collective hard work and effort along with our unwavering competitive spirit. These values help us set goals based on our organization’s potential and what we hope it will become.
The role will be responsible for domestic and international patent preparation and prosecution, client counseling, opinions, due diligence and providing, as requested, support for contested intellectual property matters.
• Litigation Management Skills:
o Ability to support complex patent litigation.
o Proven ability to influence senior management by the presentation of IP matters in non-technical terms
• Strategizing Skills:
o Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the value of asserting the company’s patent position offensively; the ability to tie a position on licensing out or asserting a patent to the achievement of a stated business objective; proven ability to assert a patent position that may involve an element of risk
• Negotiating Skills:
o Proven ability to successfully negotiate patent licenses or the sale of technology; proven ability to work with management on pro-active business objectives; proven willingness to aggressively negotiate on behalf of the company
• A minimum of five years practicing patent law in the pharmaceutical and/or chemical field is required.
• A minimum education of a JD degree is required. A member of the bar, although it is not necessary for the attorney to be a member of any specific state bar. The attorney must also be admitted to practice in the US PTO.
• An undergraduate degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmacy or biochemistry is preferred.
• Experience preparing and prosecuting patent and trademark applications, both domestic and international
• Experience working with outside counsel on patent and trademark litigation, domestic and international
• Experience in generating and reviewing opinions relating to infringement, validity and clearance
• Experience in all areas of IP due diligence, including acquisitions and divestitures
• Experience in negotiating and drafting complex IP agreements
• Experience either working in a pharmaceutical or medical device business on high-level patent issues; an understanding of the corporate environment
• Experience working with senior management is preferred; demonstrated ability to work well with and relate to company personnel at all levels
Valeant is an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
Job Applicants should be aware of job offer scams perpetrated through the use of the Internet and social media platforms.
To learn more please read Valeant’s Job Offer Fraud Statement.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. is committed to leveraging the talent of a diverse workforce to create great opportunities for our business and our people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.